View Single Post
Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
NH_Bulldog

I would use caution with Ozone. It is an oxidizing compound that will negatively affect plastics, vinyl, rubber, fabrics, etc. as well as create health issues when breathed in or coming in contact with mucus membranes in the nose, mouth and eyes.

A quick science lesson:
Ozone is generated when an electrical current splits oxygen atoms O2 into atomic oxygen O1. Atomic oxygen is very unstable in free air so it seeks out and binds to other atoms. In this case, the intent is to create Ozone - O3 (O1 + O2 = O3). The downside is that O1 also loves to bind to water which we all know is H2O. When we add that second oxygen atom to water, we get H2O2 which is hydrogen peroxide and a very strong oxidizer (bleaching agent). This means that exposure to ozone can burn your eyes, your lungs, and inside your mouth and nose.

Ozone generators are cheap, which makes them attractive to a lot of people, but in my fire & water restoration business, we moved away from ozone years ago due to the negative health effects on my employees and our customers, plus the damage that occurs to materials. Instead, we have been using Hydroxyl machines. The use of Hydroxyl machines is 100% safe for people, pets, plants, rubber, plastic, vinyl, textiles, electronics, and other sensitive materials. Plus it is 33% more effective at oxidizing pollutants than ozone.

YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote