View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #10
Devin_Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you decide to pull a trailer behind, don’t get a bumper pull. It “can” be done, but then you run into additional restrictions. Some states that allow triple tow, only allow it with a 5th wheel. Grand Design has a couple nice floor plans in the 150 series that are shorter, and come with a receiver rated for 3000 lb tow and 4 pin wiring harness. I believe Cougar has a couple as well. I will say I’ve towed the trailer behind my 5er for some long trips (over 1000 miles one way), don’t even know it’s back there, literally, you can’t see it. If you decide to do it, install an observation camera to keep eyes on it and add TPMS to the trailer as well. I have 6 sensors for my TST 507 and install them on the 5er and trailer/swivel wheel.
It would be 5th wheel + small 2nd trailer for the toy. Or a ramp to put the toy on the truck & a 25' or smaller bumper pull.

I'm not aware of any states that permit doubles with a bumper pull. Even if they did I wouldn't. My current 35' has shown me the length limits of a bumper pull even if I'm within the weight limits.

I am slightly concerned that a smaller bumper pull with 600lbs of hitch weigh or so will give me similar behavior when I toss 2,000lbs of toy & rack in the bed. I've got around 3,000lbs of payload capacity so I'd be within spec. But I'm withing all the axle GVWR, GCWR & everything else with the 35' & it doesn't tow great.

I can easily take a vehicle for a test drive, but apparently dealers no longer let you take a trailer for a test yow. Much less test tow something pulling doubles. So I'm stuck hitting up forums or often ignorant sales guys for opinions. Frustrating as my brain works best when I can lay hands on something & operate it myself.

I did look at the GD 226RK & 260RD. Nice looking trailers that are near the top of my list if I go that way. Artic Wolf & a few others were out there as well. Not as nice, but a bit cheaper as you'd expect. Several had 3k hitches with a 4 pin. I could add my own hitch, but really am only looking at OEM 3k hitch setups to ensure the rest of the frame is up to the task.
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote