View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
Jimisand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm over your new trailer, but I see that you list your location as Ontario ???

If you're planning to live in this trailer during the Ontario winters, you're going to use a tremendous amount of both propane and electricity, just trying to keep the trailer warm enough to stay comfortable. The ceiling, walls and floor of that trailer line in those years was in the R-7 to R-9 range with single pane windows, and leaking doors/access panels and lots of holes around every plumbing run, electrical run and propane run.

You're going to need to do some very serious work on that trailer to keep it suitable for extended sub freezing temperatures.

While your question is centered on expired propane tanks, you might want to consider that in the winter, you'll be going through a 30 pound tank of propane every 3-5 days. I just filled a 20 pound tank at Tractor Supply for $19.85 plus tax. That's around one dollar a pound, so roughly $30 for a 30 pound tank. That calculates out to somewhere between 6-10 tanks a month or around $180-300 a month for propane plus the hassle of getting those tanks filled every week or less along with the risk of running out of propane in the middle of the night.

You might consider contacting a propane supplier about installing a 50-100 gallon tank at the trailer site and obtaining a contract for them to keep it filled through the winter....

Honestly, whoever told you that you'll only spend $220 CAD for energy for "half the season" might have been talking about electricity for lights, but certainly not addressing the energy costs for heating that trailer through the Ontario winter !!!!!

Living in northern Michigan, which parallels the Ontario winter temps, I can assure you that heating my Cougar through a winter would cost as much or more than heating our 2500 sq ft home.....

I'd urge you to do some "due diligence" on what it's going to cost you for energy to live in that trailer through the winter before you suddenly find, in January, that your pipes are frozen, you can't heat the trailer and you're looking for some place warm to rent !!!!! Winter is no time to find out the limitations of a 3 season RV.

Thank you for thorough reply. I guess I never thought of it when posting, but our camping season is May 1st to October 10. I definitely would be in over my head trying to live in year-round. 😎
Jimisand is offline   Reply With Quote