View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 AM   #25
Danimal713

My advice- (have to be wary of giving advice. Socrates gave free advice and they poisoned him! EEK!)
Check what a replacement door will cost- having a TT salvage yard near is a big plus. Take old door with you so you can match size and fit. Based on cost you can decide to replace or mess with trying to bend it first. If bending fails, then replace. If cheap enough to justify, get a replacement. The bent one will always show some remainder of the damage even if you get a good fit. It will remind you you want to find the idiot and do some damage!
To try to bend back, it will most likely need to be bent passed straight to allow for spring-back. Playing with how much to over bend so it ends straight is the trick. A metal straight edge is a good guide to check when you have it right. Personally, I would make a jig (frame) out of materials and use a small hydraulic jack to bend it back. I would put the bend down and use jack to push it up into straight. This would require good frame on the ends to hold the door in place so movement goes to bend and not to the ends. Use a shorter 2X4 on top of the jack to spread the pressure across the bend.
Hopefully it wil be cheaper to just replace the door with one that has same fit, but this is another option. I would lean toward a new door myself, but al comes down to $$$.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote