Thread: GVWR vs GAWR
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Back when I was young and dumb, I hauled a cord of firewood several times in the bed of my 1969 Ford F100 4x4, powered by the venerable 390 V-8 and 4-speed manual.

The last time I hauled a cord of firewood, as I rounded a corner, the left axle shaft departed the rear end. 1/2 ton Fords of that era did not have full floating axles. The bearing had eaten thru the backing plate. The weight on that axle sticking out of the axle tube was a lot, but it did not break. Axle shafts on the Ford 9-inch rear ends are tough. Nursed it home, having to stop and jack up the rear end and shove the axle back into the housing several times.

Repaired the rear axle with a new backing plate, and never hauled anything heavy in that truck again.

Experience is a wonderful teacher!
Lol, reminds me of a couple summers I spent cutting firewood for a summer job. Had a ‘79 F150, standard cab, 8’ box. Had a set of stakeside rails on it. Used to cut, load and stack until the wood was level with the stakes (2’ over top of cab) then run the load back and go out again. 3 loads a day on a light day, 4 on a normal day, 5 when my buddies brother, who was the boss, rode us like rented mules. All green wood. Man, that old girl would squat lmao.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote