View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Wouldn't that make the truck nose high? On Ford trucks the headlights are already pointed too high, wouldn't this shine them straight up?
The way I understand the "previous model SuperDuty" (2011-2016) the F250 used a 3" spring block and the F350 used a 2" spring block (to keep the trucks relatively the same height with the additional springs on the rear of the F350. Most F250's have 2 leaves with an optional overload leaf (3 total) while F350's have 4 leaves with a fifth which is the overload leaf.

All SuperDuty trucks in that model run (2011-2016) AFAIK, have a 2" rear axle rise on the body. That's a 3" block in 250's and a 2" block in 350's (because of the increased thickness in the rear leaf assembly). That causes the trucks to "sit lower in the front" by 2". When a "reasonable load" is placed in the bed, the truck is designed to sit level. Mine sits "nose down" when in the garage with an empty bed and sits "slightly nose high" when connected to the fifth wheel.

When you couple the above with the extremely long leaves used by Ford (to soften the unloaded ride for comfort) there is a need to "rake the truck" so as the load settles the rear of the truck, the "headlights don't shine on the stars"....

Many people install a 2" lift kit to the front axle to "bring the truck to level" when it is unloaded. That makes the "headlights in the sky" issue even more pronounced with that mod.

I don't know what (if any) mods have been done to the OP's truck that might affect how it sits "unloaded and with the fifth wheel pin weight on the rear axle", so it's a "best guess" whether a 2" a 3" spring block or air bags or ???? is the best way to level his trailer....

If the truck is "not modded in height" then I'd suspect there's no need to change the assembly until the trailer, hitch and pin box have all been properly adjusted.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that SuperDuty trucks do have "spring blocks" and there is a "rhyme and reason" to how they're installed by Ford.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote