View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure that the trailers leave the factory "wired the same" based on how they are ordered by the dealer.

Example. A dealer orders a toyhauler "wired for generator" (because he can buy the generator cheaper from a supplier than from Keystone). It would be wired without a generator or transfer switch and those components would be installed (with the re-wire changes) at the dealership.

A second dealer orders a toyhauler "with generator installed as an option at Keystone. That trailer would have the generator AND transfer switch wired "at the factory" and may have "different charging battery connections, different transfer switch installation and different fuel system connecitons (type and location of any electric fuel pump, etc)… Not to mention differences in switch locations, gauge locations, etc...

So, depending on where/when your generator was installed, it may have an "entirely different wiring schematic and fuel system" from an exact model trailer that you may find sitting side by side with the generator installed under different circumstances.

ADDED: I'd also wonder if your generator was installed "at the factory" or if, when you bought the trailer, if it's possible the dealer installed the generator there, rather than order it from the factory with the trailer??? What I'm thinking, is that you may not even have a "factory installed generator" in your trailer, unless you followed the build, transport, delivery to the dealership and sale to you.... I'm not suggesting anything "underhanded" rather suggesting that just because you bought the trailer "new with a generator in it" doesn't mean it was "installed at Goshen by Keystone"....
OK, I get what you're saying.

This is a new to me, 2014 RV. IDK if this generator was in the unit as purchased new but I would think it appears that way. Generator has a 8/2013 manufacture date and these 300MP units all have Cummins Generators, I think they were standard. Regardless, I need to investigate and wrap my head around the whole system for my own good.

The battery is an Interstate SRM-27 which is a depp cycle 600 CCA battery. For starting the generator I would think a higher CCA battery, one of the "starting" or "dual purpose" lines would probably be a better fit. Since it has discharged so low, I will just replace it with a higher CCA unit.
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote