View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I understand your concern and can't suggest "how to fix it" because there are several different wiring configurations, all intended to meet a specific set of circumstances, and not all "compatible" with each other.

There's one configuration where all the batteries run both the house circuits and the generator starting circuit. Run them down, and you're "dead". Most of those have an "automatic start system" on the generator to recharge automatically.

Another configuration has a separate battery for the generator, so you can always start the generator, even if the house batteries are dead. The problem is that most generators do not have a "start battery charge system" so the generator battery must be "manually charged" to keep it ready to use. Some systems "wire the generator battery to the house converter/charger" to solve that problem, other wiring configurations avoid that, mostly because of the automatic transfer switch wiring.

Another configuration is similar to the second, but has a built in (separate) charger for the generator battery.

What's on your trailer ???? Who knows, that's part of why making a recommendation is difficult. It not only depends on how it's currently wired, it also depends on what other equipment is wired into the system and finally, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish...

So... without much more information about what you want as a "final outcome" and what equipment is to be included in "your system" about all you can get is "this is the way mine works" which may (or may not) be the same as yours, both is what's in the system, how it works and why it's wired that way.....

I'd suggest finding a "competent" RV service technician, have him look at it, discuss with him what your "final goals are" and get his opinions on how best to accomplish them given what's in your trailer, how it's wired and what you'll need to do to rewire it to meet your goals.
Thank you for all of that information.

I appreciate the suggestion but I dread having other people and technicians touch my vehicles, unless I just can't do it myself. In that case, I will research tp find a company that can perform the task. I've had to many issues that I won't rehash at this time with plenty of shops who are supposed to be "competent".

In this case I will dig into the electrical system and get a decent understanding of the layout of it. I have to install the Progressive Industries 50amp EMS unit I purchased anyway. I am a competent electrician, if I understand how everything is working I can figure out how to improve the system to my desires. Usually my work is much better than when I have someone else digging into my stuff, sad but true.

I started looking for an answer as to how others are wired from the factory. Now, I am thinking about what if any changes need to be made.
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote