View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #27
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
I went from a 34ft TT to 36ft FW. To us, the differences is night and day. With the FW we have more storage then the TT ever did. I also find the FW easier to hitch up and tow.

Storage - FW or toy hauler will give you a larger cargo capacity.
Larger fridge - Have you considered a residential style fridge? Can get 18CU FT fridge in a lot of units today. Ours has one and we love it, especially the ice maker.

Weight - TT will beat the FW if plan on keeping your current truck. But if you are planning on upgrading to a larger truck, do yourself a favor and go for a 1 ton. That'll give you more options down the road. Cost difference between a 3/4 to 1 ton single wheel truck is around 2K or so.

You don't need a dually to tow a FW, as long as you're within your weights. Plenty of light weight FW coming in under 13K where a single wheel 1 ton would handle easily. For example: https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...l-fifth-wheel/ Just be mindful of your total weights, etc. If you're planning on going larger, then the dually. Having towed a FW with a 2500, a borrowed F-350 single wheel and the current F-350 dually in my signature, I find the dually makes for a more relaxed towing experience. PLEASE do not tow a triple axle FW or TH with a 2500 truck. Seen enough of those this last vacation.

As for loosing your bed, from front to back I have a tool box on my truck, the FW hitch and have made a wooden box that is against the tailgate of the truck when going down the road. In the wooden box I store an extra propane bottle, can hold 2x20 lb bottles, my blocks, chocks, etc. It's out of the way and under the bedroom/overhang of the FW to keep things from walking away.

You'll still have some room in the bed of your truck to store things, just not as much. But you also gain a larger cargo capacity in the FW. Keep in mind the weights and cargo capacity of the truck as you've got to add the pin weight and hitch.

I'm not trying to convince you a FW is the way to go, just trying to help you make an "informed decision". Happy Hunting.
Haven't done any window shopping in a long time,, do the newer big refrigerators run on gas and electric, or just electric ?
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote