View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #47
Miles65

The roof is going up. As I close in on the end of this project, here are some helpful tips for anyone considering doing what I've done:
1. Put your pipes on tarps or raised platforms. Keep cut pipes on separate tarps for separate parts of your project. Label your piles. I grabbed a riser thinking it was a roof cross-piece, and now my roof is slightly off center because of the 4" difference in a small area. It's not noticeable, but I know it's there, and I'm sure my final run will take some adjusting.
2. When you set your dry mounts up, circle the pipe where it butts up into the coupling, using a sharpie or all-weather marker. In that way, you'll know if you've bashed that pipe far enough in, with your rubber mallet, once you spread your PVC cement.
3. Use a piece of plywood to distribute the weight on your roof, if you're using a step ladder to do your peak run.
4. Don't try to do your roof if you're not used to heights. I routinely hang from 1/2" rope, sixty feet aloft, gunning a chainsaw, working on trees. No big deal, for me. Your results may vary.
5. Don't use a ladder against your frame, unless you've verified, by marking with an "X", after cementing, that all couplings have been cemented. It only takes one dry mount, and the weight of you and your ladder against a cross-piece, to spell disaster/serious injuries.
I'll update as other tips come to mind.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote