View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #58
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
My apologies flybouy, being already terrified to leave the camper to even go to the grocery store is bad enough, but the "hope you have a fire department nearby" wasn't helpful. As for what you and FlyingAroundRV are saying, something that has me curious is, when they were selling us this tin can, we were told that this model had 1 solid piece of wood throughout. I assumed a giant piece of ply, but when I took the vent cover off I see those seams and it made me furious. I see what your both saying about the way the seams are, and how it looks like water damage. I don't mop the floor, but I do wet swiffer, just not over or right against the vents. Actually I avoid them. The only thing somewhat near this vent, inside the camper, is the breaker box, and behind or underneath it are the water lines. Our hot water heater sits just below the fridge, directly behind it, maybe a foot away. I've had those panels off to check for leaks or damage when we had a -0 night and everything froze up. There was no damage when it thawed, no puddles or water to be seen anywhere. Unless it's something happening below the floor that I can't see. I guess there's every possibility that it was sold to me like this. I always knew that vent ran hotter and it was hot to step on, so I thought I'd change the vent cover to something different, and that's when I found the darkening.
The Fire Dept. remark was a serious one to emphasise the potential danger. Some folks don't think things are serious unless a point is driven. As far as a "giant piece of ply" that only comes in 4' X 8' size. Just curious and maybe you have answered this already but have you given this a sniff test? Looking at the photos I would think the vinyl flooring would be melted before it scorched. It appears as though the wood grain pattern is unaffected. I would also suspect surface water as water intrusion from below would leave staining on the wood below. Unfortunately none of us know what happened to the unit at the factory or the dealer. Could be the dealer mopped the floor before delivery and left water there, could be the flooring was peeling up and some improper glue was used around the register hole. I hope you find the solution so your mind will be at ease. As an aside, I don't know where you are from but I know the Clarksburg, WV area well. Had relatives that lived outside of there towards Salem years ago. That's a very scenic area with nice folks.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote