View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ramguy View Post
Ok, first I have a 2011, payload 2300, towing is 12550, per my build sheet....I know with out a doubt this truck can handle the weight of the trailer loaded with no problems, I have been driving trucks (class a) at that, for long time.....my gcwr is 22000..so will I be over loaded maybe, is it unsafe, not to sure, as a ram 3500 has a higher payload, but to tell you the difference between a 2500 and 3500...ram that is, is the frame on a 3500 is a tad thicker, it isnt the leaf springs are different, that is fords issue, the brakes rear end axle its all the same.....that is what I got from the research i have done, I will not how ever buy this trailer if it turns out that I think it is unsafe for me to tow....I wasnt born yesterday, and will be more than happy to read all comments and concerns......if I am missing something or wrong please correct me, if your going to correct me please include where your information came from so that I may look into it...thanks....
You say your payload is 2300 lbs. Add your wife (150), a couple of kids (150), a generator (100), a couple of 5 gallon gas cans (for the generator) (80) a hitch (150) and you have added about 680 lbs to your truck. This reduces your payload by that amount, so now your payload for the trailer is 1670 lbs.

The pin weight for the Fuzion 322 is 2845 EMPTY (and will be significantly heavier loaded). If you hitched the trailer empty to your truck, you'd be overloaded by 1175 lbs. Remember, that's towing an EMPTY trailer. By the time you add a couple of 12V batteries and fill the propane tanks (which sit in the front compartment of the trailer) your pin weight is going to be over 3000 lbs (still with an empty trailer)

Now, the trailer weight EMPTY is 11,751. That's only 799 lbs less than your max tow weight. By the time you add a pack of lunch meat, a loaf of bread and a 6 pack of soft drinks, fill the fresh water tank, you're going to be at your max trailer tow weight. Realistically, expect to add about 1000 to 1500 lbs of cargo for most trips. Now, that's with the garage EMPTY. Add a 4 wheeler or a couple of dirt bikes and you're potentially 3 or 4 thousand pounds over your truck's max trailer weight and still below the 16000 lb GVW of the trailer.

Will it tow it? Heck yes, the Cummins engine is one of the strongest you can buy. It will get your rig up to speed and tow that trailer (in most towing environments) in 5th or 6th gear. Stopping it will be about the same. It'll stop the rig (in most towing environments) as well as a 3500 SRW truck.

The problem, as I construct the numbers is that even with a 3500 SRW, you'd still be overloaded (on payload) with an empty pinweight of 2900 lbs.

The Fuzion 322 is a nice rig, but realistically, it's designed for a 3500 DRW or bigger truck. To try to tow that size trailer with a 2500 is pushing all the numbers. Will it do it, again, Heck yeah. Will your insurance cover your rig in the event of an accident? Will a "good lawyer" take you to the cleaners if you are involved in an accident and the "injured party" realizes how overloaded your rig is? Will your family be safe in that combination in an "abnormal towing environment"? Is it worth the personal risk? Only you can answer those questions.

Again, it's not a matter of "obtaining operating speed". Your truck would likely tow the Fuzion 322 easily at 75 or 80 MPH, But the tires are only rated at 65MPH. Would it be "safe" to go faster because the truck "can do it"? Probably no safer than overloading the truck because the truck "can do it"

Please read this with an open mind and realize that I'm not telling you that "you can't do it" Heck, unless we happen to be alongside each other on the highway (highly unlikely) I've got no stake in your decision. The advice comes from my understanding of the engineering limits designed into a vehicle which are intended to allow adequate use for designed purpose while assuring reliability and safety for the operator. Go too far beyond the engineering limits and reliability and/or safety go down the tubes.

I'm sure others will comment on their opinions regarding your truck/RV considerations (and probably my comments as well).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS