View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
08ramguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
08ramguy, I know you didn't ask for any advice, but I wanted to bring a couple of things to your attention.

If you owned a new 2012 Ram 2500HD with diesel, the payload would be 2090 and the total tow limit of 12850lbs (with automatic trans, that goes to 15500 lbs). The Fuzion 322 has a hitch weight of 2845 and a GVW of 16000. That means the hitch weight is about 36% greater than your payload and the trailer weight (loaded) is about 25% greater than your max tow weight. If the 322 were towed empty without batteries or propane, you'd be 800 lbs over your max payload and within 1000 lbs of your max trailer weight, so essentially, if you loaded one 4wheeler in the toy compartment, you'd be almost at your max towing limit for the truck. Add a hitch for the trailer, 2 batteries and 60 lbs of propane and a coujple of passengers, and you'd be over your truck's payload limit by probably 1500 to 2000 lbs. With the pinweight of the trailer on the truck, there'd be no room for passengers or cargo, so theoretically, no gas for the 4wheeler, no passengers to travel with you, no other cargo could be added and you'd still be 800 lbs OVER your max load.

As an example, imagine someone owned a Ranger Supercab and posted that they were considering buying a Springdale 247 Fifth wheel that weighed 6415 lbs and had a tongue weight of 975 empty. What would be your "kneejerk" reaction about the safety of their proposal? They would be "within" the payload of their truck and as long as they only loaded about 500 lbs in the trailer, they'd be only about 25% overloaded on their max trailer weight. Could you imagine a Ranger towing a 28' fifth wheel down the highway and if you saw it travelling along at 65 MPH, would you think that the driver was operating the rig safely?

That example is roughly what you'd be doing to your 2500HD if you tried to tow a Fuzion 322. Will it do it? probably... Safely and without overloading your tow vehicle? Doubtful... Very VERY doubtful.

I'd urge you to reconsider either a larger TV or a smaller trailer.
Ok, first I have a 2011, payload 2300, towing is 12550, per my build sheet....I know with out a doubt this truck can handle the weight of the trailer loaded with no problems, I have been driving trucks (class a) at that, for long time.....my gcwr is 22000..so will I be over loaded maybe, is it unsafe, not to sure, as a ram 3500 has a higher payload, but to tell you the difference between a 2500 and 3500...ram that is, is the frame on a 3500 is a tad thicker, it isnt the leaf springs are different, that is fords issue, the brakes rear end axle its all the same.....that is what I got from the research i have done, I will not how ever buy this trailer if it turns out that I think it is unsafe for me to tow....I wasnt born yesterday, and will be more than happy to read all comments and concerns......if I am missing something or wrong please correct me, if your going to correct me please include where your information came from so that I may look into it...thanks....