View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #25
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The mods, IMHO, change the design of the OP's toy hauler from being a "mobile, self contained toy hauler" to a "destination trailer" no longer capable of "self contained travel". Many of the modifications have likely changed the weight/balance of the trailer, possibly causing it to be overweight on parts of the chassis, violating axle weight maximums or tire maximums.
Absolutely true.. to a point. None of the mods that limit self-contained travel are permanent, and are intended/designed to be reversed in the future. The weight distribution was kept in mind, and I don't believe we have exceeded the cargo's section of 2000lbs.

Quote:
While it better serves the OP's purpose, it loses a part of the mobility that is a significant reason for selecting a "self contained toy hauler". If "form and function" are used as selection criteria, I'd pose (to myself) the question: Is the initial choice of a toy hauler the best choice for this application? Of course, my input isn't important and I'm not selecting or using the OP's trailer.
This toy hauler was the absolute best choice for what we are doing, and what we've done to it, enable a more comfortable living space.

Quote:
There are some "thought provoking modifications" that make sense to apply in other situations and some "can't do this and remain self-contained modifications" that aren't possible in a trailer that must remain mobile and self contained"... In other words, some of the OP's ideas are great for most of us while some are so specialized that few (if any) could incorporate them in their RV.
Also, very true. That is the point of forums though, to share what you've done and how you did it. Not all upgrades or modifications can be incorporated into 'your' application, because of various reasons. What I've posted here, is no different

Quote:
If it works for him and doesn't pose an environmental or safety hazard to the public, then that's pretty much all that matters, unless he elects to put it on the road behind a tow vehicle. Then, it needs to meet all the safety requirements imposed on every travel trailer of its design. Ultimately, that's the only "impact it has on the public"....
Yep, and nothing I've done has impacted public safety, or our own... specifically referring to the septic plumbing or weight.

I do want to install a heavier 5th wheel hitch for future moves, and if I were traveling a bunch with this coach, I'd get a dually truck. Designing in and keeping a high margin of safety is extremely important.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote