View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I just giggle at the back n' forth. Yea, there are two options and everyone needs to appropriately weigh their options.... That's what it's all about, personal choices. Love this quote though...

" I rembember the days cussing when I was down shiffting all the time in slight grades and then having a diesel blow by me with ease."

Happy with our choice, that's all that matters.
I chuckled at that comment also, but then, when I realized he was talking about a 1995 truck with a 4 speed transmission, I realized he was talking about "old school" gas engine technology. Back then, fuel injection on GM gas engines meant 1 injector in the throttlebody in the intake to replace the carb. Things have come a long way in engine managment (both diesel and gas) and performance is nothing like back then.

When I bought my first diesel in 1993, it was naturally aspirated, we lived in Louisiana and I thought I'd struck the motherload when I towed. No downshifts, easy accelleration, good mileage, comfortable towing environment. Then, we decided to visit LasVegas. Well, somewhere around halfway up the climb into Albequeque (never could spell that) with black smoke belching all over the side of my pretty white trailer, in second gear at 25-30, truck gasping for air, I realized that even diesels have limits. We made it to the top, the descent into the valley was non-eventful and we enjoyed the camping in LasVegas, but on the way home, we went south as far as we could to eliminate climbing back up that mountain range. My wife still complains about all the cleaning she had to do inside that trailer, we had diesel soot on everything we had both in the trailer and in all the storage compartments.

I think I can safely say that when wishes are put aside, and reality enters the picture, either choice, diesel or gas is a personal choice, but one that fits multiple criteria. Both will work in nearly any situation, and which is the best can be made only the one paying the bills for that rig.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote