View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
tweetzone86

We don't see the bears, wolves and cougars much due to us and all other farms around us being cleared and just grass/pasture. But I did see a dead cougar on the road about 15 miles south of us a couple months ago where it's wooded, and the wolves are more likely to be further north where it's more mountainous and a few less people (I live in a valley surrounded by mountains on three sides) same with bears-all three of those prefer vegetation cover and stealth. Which leads to your next question...

Nope, not a single tree on our property and very few around. This used to be part of a 4,000 acre ranch so aside from the rare pine, it's cleared up to about half a mile on three sides and more to the south where the bulk of the ranch was.

And this is conifer and aspen territory so the only thing that would fall on our trailer if we did have trees would be pinecones or the occasional suicidal wild turkey (seriously, one randomly fell on a car and busted through the windshield while the owner was driving on one of the roads around here. Apparently it thought life was no longer worth living). I CAN grow walnuts here but it's not native.

But yeah-coyotes are a different story, and definitely were right outside our trailer door right after it happened. If it were daylight I wouldn't have an issue going outside, but nighttime is another matter altogether (and yeah, we actually have a rifle at my uncle's house we need to bring here to scare off the pesky critters. Just moved here in June). These aren't half-wolf half-coyotes like you have back east thank goodness-only about 35 lbs or so, but they have the advantage in the dark and in a pack and if nothing else, I don't want to get bit by startling a wild animal. Especially given that we'd have to crouch down to look at the tires, which makes us very vulnerable and thus could encourage canid attack (the goal with them is to look big and strong and scary and not worth the effort, not small and weak and timid like a baby animal).

It's starting to get light out now, so I'll head out and check the tires and battery and see if I can figure out what popped. With the howling occurring practically immediately after, I am wondering if some stupid coyote just ran into the side of the trailer last night. But a pop that sounded like a loud snap (best way I can think of to describe it-like an absurdly loud rubber band snapping enough to wake us out of a deep sleep) is something we need to figure out for sure.
tweetzone86 is offline   Reply With Quote