View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
LOL… I thought the 751 key was matched to my RV.. “See picture below”

Thanks for all the information on Locks and RV Security, or the Lack thereof ?
With all the Excitement of Taking Delivery of the RV I think I wore myself down and caught a good old fashion Cold. I’ve been wanting to respond to all the Great replies, but, I’ve not felt well….
Happy to say Cold is gone and I feel myself again!!!

So getting back to ..should I replace my lock with a Remote with fob and key pad? I think I will wait, and see if the fail rate is low… I do understand how easy it would be to breach the door of a RV!!

If I’m occupying the RV and Hear a Screw Driver/Crow-Bar manipulating the door I wonder if the Laws are the same as for a Residential Home? Once I let them in…I mean once they get in and, If I fear for my life - is Deadly Force Legal??

As for Keys that open all Doors I don’t like that at all!! You might not hear that entry, or think it’s a Loved One!!! That’s not going to be a Problem for now…
I’m just concerned whenever I’m staying in a RV Park/Campground someone will think they have the right RV… and let themselves in ours by mistake??? Can that happen?

Thanks for all the Great Replies …Everyone!!

Have a Great day and Keep Warm!!
K.C.

In every place I've been the castle doctrine (or some form of it) applies if you are in your RV (home). One needs to check those things before going to a new place. I pull them up, read and print them before every trip into new territory.

We have the factory locks on our RV and have had no incidents of any kind over the last 4 seasons on this trailer...or any RV before it. We lock the deadbolt every night before going to bed plus we have my burglar alarm (dog) that will let me know if anyone is even around the trailer much less trying to get in. The only time I've EVER felt surprised by someone at my door was a mistake. We were about to get ready for bed about 10pm and someone knocked on our door...which has never happened. I unlocked the deadbolt and pulled the door handle to have the door jerked out of my hand. Needless to say I went into defensive mode and had a .40 pointed at the guys head as the door was opened. Unfortunately, it was a young man we have befriended there in the park who is very nice but not completely all there. He stood there in total shock as I quickly reholstered the weapon. He had come to invite us to his church the next day........ I apologized profusely and told him to NEVER yank a door out of someone's hand, especially late at night.

All that to say even if you are inside and things go awry you can still help keep yourself prepared for the bad guys. You never know when it might happen so I always try to err on the side of being "safe".

As far as someone "mistaking" your trailer, like Chuckster57 said, if you have the deadbolt locked that should eliminate that hopefully.

Don't over worry about the lock/safety issues. Using what came with the trailer should be fine. You just need to make sure you take the necessary steps, every time, to lock all the locks on the trailer, look it over closely upon return, throw the deadbolt at night and take whatever precautions you deem fitting for you and yours to protect you in the event of a hostile coming into your trailer with you there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote