View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
Pmedic4

Replacement Lockset for FIC keys

I've told this story several times before, and generally I agree, locks only keep honest people honest. We had lost a set of keys, and needed to replace them, so I called the dealer, and they said to contact rvlocksandmore.com. Found the one key for about $7, wanted 2, and it seemed like postage and handing made the total about $20. Found you could buy every FIC key for about $55, which didn't seem very secure, and found they had a new lockset with a uniquely keyed lock for $26, so it seemed like a simple choice for the few dollars to just go ahead and get the uniquely keyed lock. Part of my decision is based on that we store our RV at a rather large storage yard, and there has been a couple of issues with some RV's with a few item being stolen, and no obvious 'break in'. Batteries in compartments with the 751 key were the common item taken. Possible just people left their RV unlocked, but the manager of the yard felt it since there are just so few unique keysets, and it was simple to find a matching key, especially the 751. So for a few bucks, I have a little peace of mind, definitely not in the price range Dagan mentioned.

By my UserID, you can see I have experience as a Paramedic, and sometimes had to gain entry to houses in emergency situations, and I can tell you for most doors the best universal key was a good shoulder, and if that didn't work, a prybar or 4' bolt cutters. We actually had specialized tools for access, so we were going to get in, yet rarely needed to use them as we were in before they could be dug out of the squad.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote