Thread: RV Generators
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #27
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Generators are much the same. Just because it's "rated" to produce 1600 watts "continuous" doesn't mean that it's "good for the machine" to operate it that way for extended periods of time. Just like the truck, the less "horsing it" you do, the longer it'll last.

I'll engage in a friendly debate on that:

The difference is RPM. Automotive motors tend to put out peak HP at an RPM that's pretty stressful on the motor. Although I agree that it'd be bad to operate your Corvette at peak HP all day long (assuming you could keep it on the road) - 6000rpm ~460hp, the difference in these generators is that they're constant RPM regardless of load.

That is (not considering the "eco" option) - they run at the same fixed 3600 RPM regardless of how much power you're demanding. Your automotive motor has a much wider operating range and most aren't built to sustain peak HP operation, at least if you want them to live for a decade...

What changes with generator load is the stress on the motor, not the RPM. When you load them, you're doing two things:
1) Putting more physical load on the motor, which is counter acted-by moving to a more open throttle position to keep that 3600 rpm.
2) You're pushing more amps through the windings on the electrical side.

As long as you're under the "continuous" rating - you should be fine. The motor itself is designed for that stress (more actually @ peak rating) and the internal windings were designed for this amp load and can operate on it indefinitely, much like the 15-20A circuits in your home.

Exceed rated capacity and one of two things will happen:
1) You'll over draw the electrics and trip a breaker.
2) You'll pull down below 3600 rpm and quickly kill the generator.. Kinda like stalling your stick-shift car.

Neither of which is a sustainable condition. This affords some protection against "doing it wrong".

Before JRTJH throws me under the bus for being an idiot, I'll point out a parallel:

General aviation motors, those in your basic Cessna or Piper, largely operate at exactly the same way as a generator motor. That is, they operate at peak RPM pretty much all day long without downside. And like generator motors, that peak RPM is relatively low (typically 2500-2800 rpm). They're designed for it - long stroke, relatively low RPM, they're built to build power this RPM range and sustain it. Loading them up doesn't hurt them as long as you stay within general design limits. Many mechanics will argue that "babying" an aviation motor is actually worse for it that running it at 75-100% power..

Note, a 5.0L Ford can put down 400 hp at 6000rpm. A 5.0L Cessna puts down 180hp at 2700 rpm - so there are trade-offs to this sort of design difference, not accounting for the difference in technology.

I'd say that running a generator near peak continuous load is probably about the same as towing with your truck within it's tow rating. It's doing more work, it's eating more fuel, and it is harder than sitting around not towing, but it's by no means abusive or horsing it..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote