View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
You would think all modern trailers today would have a walkable roof so you could do routine maintenance and cleaning.
Not when the industry is building 37'7" travel trailers that weigh in at 6550 pounds with a 680 pound tongue weight so they can be towed by half ton pickups.

"Helium technology" is a hoax, they really can't make trailers "float".... but they can make them from materials so "thin and lightweight" that they can barely support their own weight, much less that of a 250 pound man walking on the 1/4" OSB roof. As a comment, there are some RV roof/ceiling structures that are nothing more than 1/8" luan-2" of foam and 1/8" luan covered by the TPO membrane. Try walking on that......

I owned a Springdale fifth wheel, when a tree fell on the roof, (as you can see from the pictures, it wasn't a "HUGE" tree) I found out just what "lack of quality construction" really was. When the repair facility peeled the TPO and 1/4" OSB off the roof, I saw "rafters" that were more "hit and miss" than "quality built". I walked on my roof, very carefully, but given what I saw of the construction, I wouldn't do it without properly distributing the weight over multiple trusses......

ADDED: I weigh 190 pounds "soaking wet" and I would feel "uncomfortable" on a Springdale roof without foam or plywood to spread my weight. If I weighed 250, you wouldn't catch me on the roof, I'd use a ladder against the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2714.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	13609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2703.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	13610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2716.jpg
Views:	356