View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 11:31 PM   #17
MJCougler

When parking an RV ona hill...

One thing might need clarifying for the newer RVers...

I carry 2x12x 30" (2x10s work too) PT boards for under the jack pads. I also carry four 6x6x30 PT "post" lumber to use when needed. I get less "inside movement" when the leveling lacks are shorter when on the 6x6s.

I carry two 2x12 PT (2x10s work too) boards about 4' long, long enough to carry in the width of the truck bed. Over the years on soil, they will bow or split down the center. If you choose to do this, let them dry for a year, treat them with a deck-stain weatherproof coating. And, where the two tires touch the boards, attach Simpson galvanized tie plates to the bottom of the boards, and even better, evenly space three on the bottom with two near the ends:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...P411/205326044

If you want them to slide better on the grass, use a router to in-set the plates the thickness of the plates.

Also, when parked on a slope, rotate the steel jack feet 90 degrees to ensure the feet tilt with the pins in-line with the slope (NOT pointing down the slope). AND, put up to four thick black rubber tire chocks in front of tires, on the lumber, to keep the trailer from rolling down the hill.