View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
goducks

I've used several WDH's over the years. I'm currently using a BO now. I hate the OEM style chain ups. Unhitching is nasty even with an 18" breaker bar. I have 1350 lbs for TW and need the chains cranked pretty tight (10 links) to get enough weight transfer. (Ram 2500). I purchased some StrapTeks but haven't had a chance to try them. Looking at the videos they seem to be much easier to use.
If I knew what I knew now I'd of opted for a EquaLizer with 4 pt sway. I used one on a previous TT 7 years ago and although noisier it was much easier to hitch up.
What I don't like about the BO is you need to be pretty much straight front to back and not in a Vee where the TT's tongue and trucks rear are down. If you're not straight then one of the chains is put in a stressed position making unhitcing harder.
If the truck and TT are in a Vee then that puts extra stress on the spring bars making the unhitching part even more dramatic.
It also depends on what spring bars you're using and how many links you need. 1000 lbs bars on 9 links with a 800 lbs of TW isn't going to have the same stress as 1500-2000 lbs bars on 10 links.
And yes I do jack up my truck to make hitching easier. For the same amount of money I could've got an EQ as I did for the BO plus StrapTeks.
I've also used a Hensley Arrow that I bought used. That was by far the best of the WDH's I used. Bought it for $950 and sold it for $900.
As far as greasing the hitch goes, BO recommends greasing before every trip. I only grease it when it seems like it might need it. Whats a trip? 100 miles or 1000 miles?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote