Thread: Open Ground
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
No it is a portable unit that plugs into the pedestal. I am assuming by OHM tool you mean this. Attachment 28377
I would have no idea though what I would be looking for or how to use it properly.

Carrottop, yes, that is an "ohm" tool, better known as a VOM or multimeter. Many decades ago we just called it a "meter" or "Simpson" since that is the brand we generally carried.

I would encourage you to take the time to work with it and learn it. A VOM is as handy and useful as the pocket on a shirt or one of my Leathermen. I would never trade what I've learned from a VOM.

That said, just because the "ground" wire is tied down at the ped means absolutely nothing. It has to connect to something, somewhere, to make it a ground. That happens many times in a campground and the "electrician" that came by only gave it a cursory glance and said it looked good....bad on him. Then again, it might be like the "electricians" I've seen used in several parks; the handyman in the park that bakes donuts in the morning.

When you mention "surge protector" is your Progressive a "surge" protector or "EMS"? I think there was a post about one the other day that just showed lights to alert to a fault but did nothing. If so, you may want to look into the EMS.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote