View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red14 View Post
So we are entering our second season as campers in our TT and the first trip planned next week has rain the forecast. I’m skeptical but also kind of optimistic on it still being a fun trip. Our trailer is a smaller 22 ft and no TV (Wanted to keep the kids kids if you will). Just looking for fun ideas for camping in the rain with the family or ideas that anyone has.

Keep the optimism. Rain is a downer if you let it/want it to be that way. I think some of the most serene, magical times I've had in the woods was in a drizzle. Now a frog strangler? Just batten down the hatches - it won't last long.

Some keys have been mentioned. Off the top of my head;

If you have an outside enclosure take/use it. If it's just an awning with legs it will get you out of the rain and out of the trailer. If you don't have one I would encourage you to look into getting one. If you are going to be camping out, with the kids, they can sure be handy in inclement weather. We now carry 2; one 12x12 and the other 6x6. The larger is 6 sided with mesh sides and wind/rain screens, the smaller is 6x6 and 4 sided. EXTREMELY handy whether for sun or rain. They are Clam enclosures; extremely easy to pop up and pull down.

Make sure you have the "rain" equipment so that all can enjoy being in the rain. The right clothes, footwear...even socks make a difference. For kids being comfortable will keep them happier. Used to be GoreTex was the go to for waterproof but there are many similar products now.

For me a nice rain is a great time for a hike. If you like watching wildlife it makes an excellent cover for your noise as you move about.

Don't know the age of the kids but card games used to be fun with us 40 or so years ago. Go Fish, Old Maid and there a several more out there that kids like....and cards don't take up much room.

Keep something by the door to hold dirty shoes like an smaller trash can. Everyone can remove shoes and not track up the camper. In the same place I would put some hand towels to dry off.

Some sort of door mat/entry rug to clean off shoes is handy. I carry 2 plus one of the brush scrubbers mounted on a length of 2x8. Hopefully you can deploy the awning to help with getting things cleaned up before entering.

Just some random thoughts. Remember it's a mindset; it is what you make it and a preconceived notion that it's all going to be miserable will assure that it is - and the kids will pick up on that easily.

Wishing you luck and hope you all have a blast! Let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote