Thread: A/C freeze up
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
On our last weekend camp out the Dometic 15K unit froze up.

I figured it was the humidity+fan switching to low as it got close to the set point.

I did some research and found the major culprits for my scenario and did some investigation.

I checked the filter and coils and they looked brand new, which they basically are, the AC unit is just over 3, but we rarely camp when it is necessary.

There were plenty of places where cold air could get sucked into the return plenum, so I got some metalized duct tape and sealed that up.

I verified the freeze sensor was stuck into the evaporator.

Then I checked the temperature differential, between discharge and return and it was only 8 degrees.

I contacted Dometic, from their customer support page and they suggested I do the things I had already done and I once again mentioned the temp differential, so they asked for compressor current draw.

I am still waiting for a response to that information.

It is nice they are willing to engage with me and I am hopeful they will do something to help... I have seen many posts on the web where folks had similar problems, with the same unit and they were replaced under warranty, some more than once.

Good luck with yours.

-Brian
X2 to sealing the duct-work with the aluminum duct tape, solved 99% of your freeze up issues.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote