Thread: Snow load
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 07:02 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
From what I have seen, storage lots will have disclaimers that deny any liability on their part for what happens to items that are stored at the lot. Doesn't mean that legal action can't be taken or the disclaimers have legal merit but I doubt a storage unit carries sufficient insurance for this type damage. Recently had a person local who had a park model RV stolen from a storage lot and could not hold the owner of the lot responsible as these disclaimers were posted or they had signed a waiver (not sure which).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
At our storage place, we are required to maintain insurance on our camper in order to store it there. They make it clear that their insurance doesn’t cover “tenants”. This saved me a couple of years ago when my unit was hit and run and sustained nearly $4,000 in damages.

As a side note, I have been in property insurance for a major carrier for 20 years and have seen many liability claims presented and almost none paid. Occasionally you may get lucky and a property owner will step up and help but it is rare.

just wasn’t sure if it’s a gray area with it being stored inside a building