Thread: Frig on Solar
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 08:03 AM   #23
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Can anyone give me an idea how long the fridge 10cu ft 12v will run with the 400i with 2 100ah lithium batteries run? We boondock much of the time. Thanks
2023 KEYSTONE COUGAR 24RDS
your going to have to look in the maunal for the fridge and see what the maximum amprage it is reated for. the devide your 200AH by that amprage and thats the minimum time you can go if you run nothing else and your fridge runs 100% of the time, from there that time will increase depending on the duity cycle that fridge is running one so the hotter it is the more it runs the more you open the door the more it runs, the colder it is the smaller the run duity cycle is. from there the other difference is the amount of 12v you use for lights and such.

so my fridge uses 12amps when it is on 12V constant (not a compressor 12V) so with 200 AH so the max I could go with just the batteries is 16 hours if I don't run anything else. for compressor fridges the dometic coolmatic 50 is rated for an average of 1.4ah/h at 25C ambiant temp and 1.7ah/h at 32C so lets take the higher temp at that average the batteries will power the fridge almost 5 days if you use no other 12V dc power and your total battery capacity. its not a easy question and it is highly subjective to how you use stuff when you camp. thats why I always recomed a propane fridge if you plan on boon docking as a main type of camping, but that only works if the unit you like comes with one. your other option is to put say 3 to 500 watts of solar on and you will probably never have to worry about it but that is also subjective to where you camp, would still need a genny to help if you park under total tree cover for example.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote