View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Papa Bear -
Hello, welcome to the group and nice to see that you chose this forum for your first post. Hopefully you will continue to find us and your fellow campers a friendly, welcoming bunch.
I think you may be right in your comment about "pushing the limits" with respect to the Titan and the Bullet. If you are at all concerned about being overweight and towing beyond the capacity of the Titan, then I would find the nearest weigh scale and get everything weighed. You didn't give us any specifics about that year/model of Titan or the numbers for the Bullet so it is difficult to comment as to whether or not it is a good mix.
In the meantime, enjoy your new RV with your family and friends.

Hello Festus

And thanks to all for the warm welcome. My journey on determining the towing capacity of my 2005 Nissan Titan XE has been extremely frustrating. Been surfing the Titan forums, devouring the owners manual, talking with Nissan customer service, decoding the VIN, and ofcourse face to face to truck lessons in frustration with multiple Nissan service reps. All with strange and radically different outcomes.
I bought the truck used, from a dealership (not Nissan). Nissan customer service says it didn't leave the assembly line with a towing package as per the VIN...yet has characteristics of a towing package. It is obvious the previous owner added a few after market goodies (mostly cosmetic) however I am left to error on the side of caution and assume its capacity for towing is that of the basic XE witch is 6500 lbs.
The bullet's dry weight is 5125 lbs and the carrying capacity is 2465 lbs. With my 6500 lbs towing capacity on Titan, that leaves me a little over 1300 lbs to play with. I recently added a RAS system to my truck to increase tongue weight capacity and help with handling while towing. RAS is Roadmaster Active Suspension...kind of a shock absorber on the leaf springs that the Titan forum folks seem to love, check activesuspension.com.
Leaving the dealership with the new Bullet, I certainly noticed a difference in the weight compared with the Aerolite but the truck didn't seem to be hurting or struggling at all, ofcourse no cargo yet. Another issue that remains unresolved with my Titan, because everyone has a different answer is what gear to tow in. People get down right insulting with each other on Titan forums when this subject comes up.
The battle lines are drawn over wether to shift in to 4th gear while activating the "tow mode" button. Or, to remain in Drive and activate tow mode, which may or may not take you out of overdrive depending on who you side with. I have not experimented with the 4th gear thing yet. Was unaware of it on both my previous trips with Aerolite...one to Charleston, SC and another to Tybee Island, Ga...both originating from Merritt Island, Fl, cruised the whole way in D and tow mode without any issues.
Okay...getting long winded now! Thank you for the reply and interest in my issue, and hope somebody out their may have an answer. And yes, I will find a scale and weigh the fully loaded camper for my peace of mind.
Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote