Thread: Sway
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryman View Post
John,
When i brought it home a few months ago and we went out, i didn't feel the sway that i feel now. This is my first rig so i don't have any past experience to base it on.
This is speculation, because as already stated, until you actually put the rig on the scales, nobody will really know your weight status.

Here's a theory: When you towed it home from the dealer, the trailer was empty. The tongue weight was probably about 11% of total trailer weight. Now you're towing it with your camping supplies, food, water, clothing, rec equipment, etc in it.

Assuming the dealer set up your weight distribution hitch correctly, and you loaded the trailer to maintain 11-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue, you "may not" have any significant difference in handling. BUT if you loaded cupboards in the back of the RV with heavy "things" and put lighter, bulky items up front, you may have reduced your tongue weight to a point where the trailer is 'inherently" unstable. Also, you may have counted the links wrong when you hitched up this time?

As said, tire pressure, wind, passing 18 wheelers all play a significant role in sway, but I'm thinking that you may well have just "misloaded" your rig and the tongue weight is off enough to make a noticeable difference.

If it towed more stable coming home and the weather, winds, etc are about the same, then it "should" tow about the same now, just heavier. But, changing the weight configuration will make all the difference in the world.

Look at how you loaded, weigh the rig, then the trailer, then the trailer tongue. That will probably tell you all you need to know about what's wrong.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote