View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Bob Landry

I've read several posts similar in nature to the OP and I still can not wrap around the mindset. First, if a dealer has more work than he can get to, I call that an opportunity to expand the business and generate more revenue, I'm a Dometic dealer specializing in Marine Air Conditioning and refrigeration and have been a sole proprietor for 15 years. I do repairs on both a warranty and non-warranty basis. Most equipment has a warranty period of one year. After that it's time and materials. My rational goes several ways. After the end of the first year, that owner does not have a warranty, but if I take care of him the way he deserves, I will still have a customer. Sometimes my manufacturers do not pay on warranty what I would charge a customer, sometimes they do, but at the end of the day, I make it up with the retention of a customer who was happy with his service experience with me and thus I enjoy continued revenue not only from him, but also his friends who need work done. I'v been in business for almost 20 years and have never used any kind of advertisement. There must be some explanation for that. I also service equipment that I do not sell. Why wouldn't I? The money is all the same color and I'm not in business to send work to other shops. If I were to walk away and leave money on the table simply because I didn't sell that equipment, just who am I hurting?
Also, repair departments usually work on their own P&L, and I don't understand why any service manager worth his salt would walk away from revenue. If he worked for me, it would only happen once.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote