Thread: Hot Water Issue
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
twstdpear

As Andymon suggested, I'd suspect the water heater bypass. If you have the 3-valve style of bypass, I think you might have the upper and vertical valves off. Usually, the lower and upper valves are in the same position (open or closed) and the vertical valve is in the opposite position (closed or open). If you have the single valve type of bypass, the check valve at the top of the water heater might have malfunctioned or is plugged.

If you put the water heater into bypass, you can check that all of the lines are working and then you'll be able to focus on the valves as your potential problems as I mentioned.

Most of the trailers I've seen and read about have the water heater bypass right next to the water heater itself. In travel trailers, it's usually under a cabinet behind a panel held in by a couple of screws or under a dinette seat, but where it is exactly can vary wildly from trailer to trailer. As noted above, the bypass is either comprised of three on/off valves, or comprised of a selector type valve and a check valve. To enable the bypass in the first type, close the upper and lower valves, and open the vertical valve. To enable the bypass in the second style, just turn the valve to send the water flowing up the vertical pipe.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote