View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Thanks for the responses to my question. You all make good points.

We bought our new trailer this year and my son right away was considering one for his young family. He was concerned about breaking down out on the road with his family.
My response to him was, that yes, a water pump or A/C unit might break down, but as far as stopping you on the road, a trailer is pretty much bullet proof.
That is as long as the axle and tire maintenance is kept up.

He bought a used Outback and took it right into the shop for axle service, tires, and a complete check-up before hitting the road for a cross country trip.
It makes a vacation better when you're not worrying about those little things.

Good for him! It is so easy to buy an RV and just think it's time to "take off and have fun" without ever thinking of the endless things that have to be done not only to keep things "working" but to keep the owner and others safe.

Bought a Jayco popup from my mom and dad decades ago. It was maybe 3 years old. Told me they it was in tip top shape. I didn't think a thing about it and started taking it to the mountains having a great time (3-4 hrs. one way). About the 3rd/4th time I took it I had a bearing freeze and cut the spindle off the end of the axle. Thankfully I was driving about 5 mph on a back mountain road but it could have happened anywhere...and what if it was a 10k+ trailer? Learned my lesson then and there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote