View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
notanlines, you're right I just tried it for the first time on the 5th wheel and it just barely got the other tire off the pavement, so no it wouldn't be very good on a less than a solid surface. I'd tried it earlier on my car hauler and it worked great had the other tire almost 4" off the ground.
Lots of people make the assumption that "a trailer is a trailer"....

For many situations, nothing could be further from the truth. There are lots of differences between "trailers" and "towable RV's". We can start with the "towing specs" from auto manufacturers, move on to "sidewall sail" square footage, wide spaced vs narrow spaced axle configuration, loading characteristics, front surface area, sway control, weight/balance issues just to name a few.

Your statement that "it worked on my car hauler and had the tire 4" off the ground" is a perfect example of "we're working with a totally different breed of trailer" when doing most anything on an RV trailer.

Thanks for pointing out the difference you found between trailer types, even when working with something as "similar" as pulling one axle up on a block to raise the other tire.....

ADDED: To clarify, I suppose my point is that when in a store, shopping for "trailer stuff" just because it's advertised to do something or work on "trailers" doesn't mean it will work on an RV. Lots of "trailer stuff" simply is inadequate or not designed for the way RV trailers are engineered or configured.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote