View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #17
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I checked out the prices at the link provided a couple of posts back. GP 27 lithium batteries are $1049 each, so a pair (what's apparently supposed to be similar to two GP 27 lead acid batteries) would be $2098. At over $2000, I don't know what "distinct advantage" those batteries would have (weight is 28lbs each) since they replace batteries slightly larger and heavier. Their "advantage" seems to be cold weather performance, but who uses their RV in sub zero temps? As for longevity, they do have a distinct advantage, but considering that you could buy 10 pairs of lead acid batteries for the same cost as one set of lithium, it looks like the longevity is "overcome" by price, at least for me.

There may be some advantage for a few select RV'ers, but for the vast majority, that kind of investment for seasonal (or really even for full time) RV use, it doesn't look like it would make economic sense. At least that's the way I see it. Others may view things from a different perspective, but for me, I'll stick with a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries. They're 4 years old and still working just like when they were new. Total cost, less than $300.
+1

I just upgraded to 2XGC2 230AH batteries and it was just under $200 + tax.

-Brian