Thread: bike rack
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechopaka View Post
I have a new 2015 Cougar 24RKSWE that has the pull out bumper with a heavy duty plastic tray behind the bumper. Looking toward the spring and taking our bikes, is their a bike rack or some other device you would recommend to put on the tray behind the bumper to store our bikes as we travel.
Thanks in advance for the information!
We have the same set up on our '17 Cougar. Most worthless piece of junk I've ever tried to make work. We were excited to see this included with the trailer when we bought it, but after trying to use it we have an entirely different opinion. After checking with other owners and user forums we could not find anyone satisfied with using the Lippert cargo carrier for their bikes.
We have 2 bikes we wanted to carry. I extended the cargo carrier, raised the vertical support and strapped the bikes on as securely as possible.
After the first 100mi or so decided to hit a rest stop and check everything out. Glad we did. Everything was loose. There is enough up and down wobble with the carrier that the strapping simply moved with the load and the bikes subsequently fell down flat on the carrier. I re-strapped everything (the bikes laying flat) including the carrier this time and completed our trip without further incident until I removed the straps. One of the support brackets holding the carrier to the frame was bent down, the other was missing completely.
If this carrier can't even support the weight (80#) of 2 bikes what good is it?
Plus, the system is not really set up for carrying bikes. They don't ride well on the tray like they do on a receiver mount bike rack.
Our solution. is to remove the offending instrument of poor design (the cargo carrier) and install a 2"receiver welded to the frame. We'll need to cut off the square tube "bumper" and weld it to the receiver. If we need a cargo carrier we'll buy one that attaches via the 2" receiver. Otherwise our bike rack will be attached there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	11038  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote