Thread: Tongue Weight
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
BlueThunder34

Are you sure your tow rating is 7700lbs? Or are you meaning your GVWR is 7700? These are two very different things. I couldn't see what your truck specs are in your signature line, but you first need to look at your door sticker for your specific max payload. If you have the Ecoboost, super crew 4x4 with 3.55, 3.73 rear end your max "tow" weight rating would be north of 9,000lbs, now as many have already said you will likely run out of payload before reaching max tow weight. I had a 2014 Ram 1500 towing our 5660lbs "empty" 24' trailer and I can tell you first hand the coil springs in the back are very soft for 800-900+lbs tounge weights. Ram has a great ride empty but you sacrifice payload ratings for that soft rear end. My door sticker on the Ram stated 1300lbs max, I was at or over this with our modest 24' trailer. I upgraded to the 2014 ecoboost max tow/max payload with a door sticker max payload of more than 1800lbs and max tow weight of 11,300lbs. The experience between the two is night and stay for me, I feel much safer with this truck vs the Ram. I loved my Ram but the suspension is just too soft for heavy loads IMO. I would have loved a 3/4, or 1 ton but for me it didn't make sense. Best of luck in whatever you decide but just do yourself a favor and always check the door sticker when shopping to see what your real payloads will be as every truck varies greatly based on options in the truck, cab and bed length, etc. again you will run out of payload long before you run out of towable weight on the newer 1/2 tons.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote