Thread: Tongue Weight
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Mjones363

Tongue Weight

Hi all, my wife and I purchased a cougar 243RKS last fall which I tow with my 2012 F150. My truck is rated to haul 7700 pounds and I know the dry weight of my trailer is stated at 6000 pounds. I am currently looking for a half ton with a higher towing capacity like a ram with the 3.92 rear axle that will pull in the 10,000 pound range to give me some breathing room (I did consider a 3/4 ton but don't think I need to go that route).

Here is my question. My trailer tongue weight is stated at 535 lbs. from all I've read tongue weight should be around 13-15% of total weight and I calculate my trailer to be only about 9% ( I realize these are still dry weights just trying to get things correct in my head). When I hook up my trailer my truck doesn't lower even an inch, and when I tow it it feels like it is swaying and almost bouncing (I use an Anderson hitch but am reluctant to tighten it too much as I feel I am transferring weight off the back wheels that isn't really there). So is this normal for this type trailer or are they designed to maybe have water onboard to add tongue weight? or do I maybe need to load more items up front to offset the rear kitchen? From day one it just hasn't felt right pulling it and I don't want to buy a new truck only to find it's something else.

Thanks
Mark
Mjones363 is offline   Reply With Quote