Thread: Running lights
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Rubicon100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many of us use this "method" to light up the running lights in the evenings while at a campground. You'd be amazed at how handy it can be. For instance, ordering a pizza for delivery (yeah, I know, while camping???). Just instruct them to tell the delivery driver that it'll be the "big fifth wheel with the running lights lit". Makes for a warmer, fresher pizza in most cases.

I know one individual (no, not me) who installed and wired a 'truck end plug" in his pin box. He wired it with a flasher and switch so he can, when parked, plug his trailer umbilical into the "spare plug". It provides a safe place to store the umbilical rather than let it hang under the trailer and with the flasher/switch, in the event of an emergency, he can flip the switch and the running lights will flash off/on until he turns the switch off. While "not my thing" it does make for easy identification in an emergency situation. I'd guess it would be a "handy addition" if you had to leave your trailer parked on the side of the road, disconnect the tow vehicle to go get repairs and wanted the added visibility of flashing lights.

For me, I normally use a paper clip in the two pins to check my running lights. It's much easier than backing the truck under the trailer and using the truck's plug. If you use a paper clip, realize that you don't have any "circuit protection" and could possibly burn up some wiring if anything shorted to ground.
These are some really cool things I have never heard of but I like it. Thanks for sharing.
Dan
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote