View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I test drove a F350 SRW Lariat Powerstroke and GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax this past weekend. I'm a GM guy but wanted to give the Ford a try. The Ford may have a solid front axle but I did not like the way it handled or the seat.
Loved the GMC and Duramax. I have built my truck now just have to pull the trigger and order it.
Do I need dual alternators? Never had them with gassers so not sure what the purpose of 2 alternators is for.
Dual alternators aren't needed for "most owners". Diesels almost always have a dual battery setup, but the single "heavy duty alternator" is all that's necessary to keep them charged and provide the same power to trailer battery charging as in a gas engine truck.

Where the dual alternators come in handy is low speed, high electrical use applications such as snow plowing, parking lot sweeper use, emergency truck applications like rescue, fire response, etc.

You may find trucks with them on the lot, usually because dealers order "spec trucks" that they think will sell in their area, or more often, especially at "Ford Company dealerships", it's because the assembly plant "miscalculated" the demand for specific options and had too many sitting in the shipping line, so they force shipped them to their lots because none of the dealerships were ordering what they "projected" to be in demand.

If you get them for "free" why not, but you'll never need them in almost any towing application.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote