Thread: Generator info
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Yes, a 50Amp RV service can be a 120/250v service, but it also can be a 120/208v service also. .
It ~can~ be just about anything.. But that does not mean it's correct. 120/250 is single/split phase.... 120/208 is NOT single/split phase and has absolutely NO application in residential wiring.

I would be VERY surprised if you ran across 120/208 at any campground pedestal. It is generally a commercial application only where large electric motors may exist.

If you DO run across it in a campground. It is absolutely incorrect and is NOT to code if you find it.

Quote:
...On an RV, you never use the 250v side of it, only the two 120v legs by themselves...
I wouldn't say never. Perhaps on our lower to moderately priced RVs that true. But it doesn't have to be that way. The power is there. No reason not to use it.

My Avalanche's WFCO power distribution panel cannot accept 240V circuits because of the arrangements of the hots. They come in to the center and then each leg goes to the left or the right from the center. Because of this arrangement, a breaker cannot straddle two tabs and draw from both legs.

In my last RV however, the distribution panel was setup just like your home distribution panel such that the hots fed bars that run next to each other and the tabs for breakers alternated... I would be possible to install a double pole breaker and draw from both legs.

Some big rig MHs use 240V stuff.

Quote:
...For people with a voltmeter checking the pedestal before plugging in (a very wise thing to do)...
I agree with this wholeheartedly. ^^^

I had a neighbor at a campground one time that a previous customer had opened up the pedestal and re-wired the RV 30 amp to 240V (presumably to run a welder - offroad RV park)... My neighbors blew out most of their appliances and their converter.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote