View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Stevereno

Howdy from SE Texas!

My wife and I recently purchased a new Cougar travel trailer, model 25RET (28' long). Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Chevy Tahoe with 5.3L V8, 3:42 rear end and HD towing package. The rated towing capacity is 8500 lbs with this configuration. We had the RV dealer install an Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch, 10,000 lb rating. The brake controller and installation of same in the Tahoe was included with the hitch.

We have taken the TT out once for a "shakedown cruise" to an RV resort on Lake Livingston about 1 hour from home. We are new RVers, we have always camped in a tent. But between the checklist the dealer gave us, the checklists I found online and advice from the in-laws, we managed to have a successful trip. The only "necessity" we found we were without upon setting up was a a step stool. After leveling the trailer, we found the first step was pretty high off the ground. It was manageable for me but kinda high for my wife and our granddaughter. A quick trip to the local Wally World took care of that problem.

The biggest problem I have had with the TT so far is not an issue with the trailer itself. I have plenty of experience backing up boat trailers, utility trailers, etc. but have always done this looking over my shoulder. Backing the TT using the Tahoe's side mirrors (with extensions) just doesn't seem to come easy for me. Our house sits about 160 feet back from the street and our driveway has a nice curve in it. Getting the trailer started on the driveway is not bad, but negotiating the curved section using the mirrors just threw me for a loop. I know I will get the hang of it but my first two back-ins were pretty frustrating.

I have been lurking a bit while I was waiting for my membership to be activated and looks like there is a lot of good info on here and some friendly folks willing to lend a helping hand. Looking forward to participating in the forums.
Stevereno is offline   Reply With Quote