View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another$pit View Post
Thanks JRTJH,
So the way I'm reading this, is the single axel, like I have is not "fully walkable", but okay to get up there carefully with foam pieces to spread your weight out. I weigh in depending on the day between 185-190.
Well, If I were you, I'd look beyond the "brochure" and consider the reality of how your trailer is made before reaching any conclusions on how to "defeat the advertisements"....

First, unless Keystone has changed the construction materials since 2019, your trailer has 2x2 wood "built up roof rafters". What that means is they use "whitewood" (sometimes spruce sometimes white pine sometimes poplar) to create the roofing framework. The only metal in the roof is the staples with maybe a couple of screws in "stress points".

If any of those "2x2 wood components has a knot or a "branch split" (where the wood is weaker than the rest of the rafter) then that spot is considerably weaker than intended. IF (a possibility not a probability) there are two knots in one of those 2x2's, one at each end of a span where things are stapled together, and you happen to step on that section of a rafter, whether the pressure is "spread by a piece of foam or not" you risk "crashing through the roof and into the trailer interior....

The "problem" then becomes, from a Keystone perspective, "why were you on the roof, we stated clearly that it is not "fully walkable". Warranty denied. So you claim it on insurance and they may/may not approve the loss....

I always thought my Springdale was "well constructed" until we had a tree fall on it during a thunderstorm. That's when we discovered that 1/4" OSB sheeting under a sheet of TPO isn't going to stop anything. I had "walked on that roof many times" but after that "discovery" about just how cheaply they are constructed, I NEVER walked on that roof again, with or without something to spread my weight.... At the time I weighed around 165 pounds.

Here's a couple of photos of just how "sturdy" a Springdale fifth wheel roof really is. Your "single axle trailer roof" is not built as sturdy as the rest of the Springdale line....

I'd say, If you do walk on that roof, with or without anything to spread your weight, you do so at your own "peril".... I wouldn't consider it. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2708.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	43308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2730.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	43309  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS