Thread: Bugs
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 09:01 AM   #9
dutchmensport

I started setting off bug bombs inside my fifth wheel at least once a year because we get those dreaded "stink" bugs. When they first started showing up in my previous camper I couldn't get rid of them, and then they showed up within the first month of my current camper, I decided to go aggressive against them.

I stumbled into a solution that seems to work, although it does mean sweeping up dead ones ever now and then.

My first attempt was 4 bug bombs inside the trailer. One in the front living room, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, one in the bed room. I turned on the "fan" on the air conditioner so the bug spray would circulate through the air ducts also and if there were are leaks in the air ducts, that would push some of the bug spray into the roof of the trailer.

After the first time I did this, I had a bazillion dead stink bugs drop to the floor. I had no clue where they all came from. After sweeping them up, there was a steady flow of them, maybe a hundred every day until the numbers dwindled to just a couple after about 2 weeks.

So, I know these irritants hatch eggs, so after 2 weeks I repeated the process with the 4 bug bombs. This time, I turned on the furnace and put the air conditioner on "fan" and let the spray circulate through ALL the duct work, and if there were any leaks, the spray would get under the floor and into the attic again.

Every now and then, for the next year, we'd occasionally have a dead bug reappear. In the Fall (1 year now), I noticed them coming back. But the outside was covered with them. So, I repeated (Now, this is 3 times in less than 2 months with the bug bombs).

Then went for 2 years and didn't have another bug of ANY kind in the trailer again.

So, now, once a year I set off 4 bug bombs with the air conditioner fan and the furnace running, and I also set 1 off in the basement. I remove the back wall in the pass through and set one off back there too.

The end result is.... we never have bugs any more, not even mosquitoes inside the camper. I think the spray has penetrated every crack and crevasse and that stops them from coming in in the first place now.

For us, this works! We've never had bugs or gnats or anything like that in any of our holding tanks. Valves are always closed, except when dumping.

Anyway, this works. And, when setting off those bug bombs, we clean off the counter tops and wash the exposed bed linens. We leave it every where else. Washing it away, defeats the purpose. No, we've never gotten sick nor have the dogs.