View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Ahhh yes ... Young and bulletproof. How did we ever survive????
1972 Datsun p/u with a slide in truck camper. Relax, weight police, 2500 lb. payload. They drove them into the NYC auto show one inside the other. Door sticker Payload: 2500 lbs. Curb weight: 2250 lbs.
Load range E tires and rims.
Once it got rolling it did okay on highway. Second gear had it's own set of retarded points to keep it from pinging it's head off. (pun intended)
That's all the good stuff.
Next the stuff we didn't even think about back then.

Narrow wheel base and extremely high center of gravity .... High school Physics teacher would have been proud : I added dual wheel adapters and put all four wheels on the rear for an increase of slightly over 20 inches. They used a sixbolt chevy pattern wheel so the widest reverse rims for the fronts helped me achieve my outrigger canoe effect to keep us upright.
Final problem I could not overcome was inertia .... 4 wheel drum brakes would just barely slow you down so forget about stopping. In all fairness when it got older and the floorboards rusted out it gave me the option of dropping an anchor through one of the holes for emergency stops.
Ahhh yes, those were the good old days.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote