Thread: Dometic AC Unit
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I stand corrected. After looking at it on a larger screen I see the 10x at the beginning of the listing. Must be some high quality stuff.
Yep, quality is not one of the "best selling points" for sure. That said, all that type of Schrader valve is, is a truck valve stem with the rubber removed.

I agree with your comments about doing it "the right way" or "the get through this season way" ... There is a difference in long term and short term repairs.

My point, again, was that it's not some "mystical process that's reserved only for a purveyor of magic" called a HVAC technician. In other words, if, after searching all of southern California or all of Tennessee and you can't find someone to fix a "junk A/C that you're going to throw away" some might want to consider "learning a new process that's not technically challenging or impossible for the average tinkerer with a work bench in the garage".... It ain't impossible to just fix it yourself with a little research and some courage to pick up a tool.....

All that said, yes, I do realize that freon is not always a "friendly environmental substance" but neither is ammonia if you've ever spilled some in a closed room.....

ADDED: IMHO, the reason most HVAC repair businesses no longer repair this type of A/C unit is not because it "can't be done" but rather because "they can't make enough money to justify the time/effort/governmental regulations regarding freon recovery/use to justify the few times a year someone would request the service from them. In other words, most of us would probably just throw it away rather than repair it anyway, so why offer a repair service that nobody would use and the government makes "near impossible" to maintain.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote