View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
jwfrede

I've done this exact process on my 215rbk APEX travel trailer.

I bought a 2020 27SGS Cougar half ton fifth wheel this year. Has anyone done this method with Cougar 5er?

To add a little more detail to my method of compressed air winterizing. I have a 10 gal air tank that I would take up to about 50 psi. This would allow a longer blast of high flowrate air because the compressor could not keep up.

Each line in the trailer was done one at a time. That is, only the water heater was blown out, then the shower hot water, than the shower cold water, etc. In between each line blowdown, I would let the tank pressure build back up by closing a valve at the tank, always leaving one line in the trailer open so the trailer would not pressurize. This takes awhile as there are 8 separate blowdown lines in the trailer, water heater(no valve, just the anode screw, toilet, shower(2), and 2 sinks(2 each). It took maybe 2-3 minutes per line and was then repeated a couple of times, especially the water heater.

After everything was completely blown out once, I waited an hour for water droplets hung up in the lines to accumulate in the line low points and repeated the whole blowdown procedure through all the lines. I probably repeated this a third time until the air was coming through each line fairly dry. For the second blowdown there were still some droplets in the lines that came out with the initial airflow. Then it became a mist. And eventually this air became fairly dry.

It took 2-3 hours to do the whole process so I felt comfortable that there was not likely to be accumulation of water in low spots in the lines. The effort and extra time was worth it because there is no dewinterizing procedure. When I head south in the winter there is no need to spend time getting the antifreeze out in some unknown campground 1000 miles from home.

I am still debating which method to use for the Cougar 5er. The travel trailer was smaller and more compact. All the water lines were on the same level so it was easier to understand the path of the lines that were hidden behind the cabinetry reducing the places where a low point could occur. I have a bit of concern about this on the 5er.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote