View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That makes me wonder: are the trailers that have been converted have the straps/chains connected to just the frame or do they have a "strap" that holds the entire structure down?
I had a friend years ago that lived in an rv set up permanently on his land (near impossible in this state now. Back then (going back to I believe the 1980's?) his old camper didn't have the "hurricane straps". He contacted a mobile home service that came out and installed some sort of "kit" that had strapping that went over the roof, down the sides, and attached to augers in the ground with a ratchet on the top like a flatbed binder ratchet. Darned thing looked ridiculous to me and I thought if a hurricane hit that crap wouldn't keep it from ending up like 3 little pigs straw house.

I was there when it was installed and inspected/approved by the county and thought "what folley". Just some more of what people have to do to comply with some well meaning but misguided legislation. It's like here in MD when unleaded gas was nationally mandated and the leaded fuel dispensers were removed from fuel stations nation wide. MD has emissions testing and at the time, the emissions stations would take a plastic replica of a leaded fuel nozzle and try to jam it in the fuel filler neck of the car (when unleaded was first "phased in" folks would punch the restrictor down the fuel fill neck so they could still use the less expensive leaded fuel). I asked the emissions tester why he was doing that when you the closest thing to leaded gas at the time was 110 low lead avgas available at airports only. His answer: "just doing what I'm told to do". Yup, perfect.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote