View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #20
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
Using the correct adapter? Xrated may be on to something in a sense. Since the generator is voltage selectable it should be able to put out the max watts at the 30 amp receptacle in the 120V only mode, correct? Somehow the switch parallels the load after the circuit breakers to give the max watts. But I believe it would still take both legs (hots) to get the max watts but they can be combined when in the 120V only mode. However, if the adapter is incorrect it may only be connecting one leg (hot) to the RV end of the adapter, which as would seem to limit to 15amps.
I am not a pro, but I think it would be interesting to know if both 'hots' of the adapter have continuity to the 'hot' of the RV side of the adapter.
If the 30 amp outlet is set up to provide only 120/240 volts from the four leg outlet, there may not be a switch to actually select one voltage or the other, and if that is the case, the two hotlegs will be out of phase and are not able to be paralleled, so the 15 amps per hotleg is probably the what is wrong and why the A/C will not work. The dogbone adapter is only using one of the hotlegs to feed the 30 amp shore cable, just like if you were connected to a 50 amp pedestal, you are only using one of the 50 amp hotlegs, but that works in that situation. Another sad thing is, this generator has a 7 HP engine and doesn't really put out that much more power than our two little 2,000 watt Honda's paralleled, 2.8 HP each.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote