View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yes I do have 24" scissors jacks. I agree, 1/4" is small, that along with the enlarged holes (probably "wobbled out") was why I drilled out the holes and installed larger bolts. I suppose I could have gone to 7/16 or even 1/2", but the 3/8" are holding well.

I'm strictly guessing here, but my thought is that Keystone wanted the weakest link to be the attachment hardware (maybe acting like a shear pin) to hold the jacks on the frame points. That way, if they were scraped on the pavement or if they were hung up on something on the road, they would "break away" rather than rip components off the frame... That's just my thinking, certainly nothing that I've discussed with the dealer or with Keystone. Of course, that doesn't explain why they weld some in place and use bolts on others, so who really knows?????
Speaking in my capacity as an engineer.... 3 or 4... 1/4 bolts are more than sufficient to hold the light gage scissor jacks used on the trailers a stabilizers from falling off... and I suspect that you are correct that the intent was to act as a type of shear protection in the event of dragging a jack...

The only thing that will be accomplished by increasing the bolt size in most cases is to negate the shear protection provided by the 1/4 bolts...