View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
1951grumpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
Thanks for the reply 1951grumpa! The truck you have is likely what I'd be looking at with the exception of the 8' box, and maybe a different year. Do you know what gears you have, 4:11s?
I'd like to get a diesel but they are just stupid expensive! It's hard enough to find a decent used 3/4 ton gas without breaking the bank.

Mu current truck is an 02 GMC 1500 HD, crew cab, 6.5' box, 6.0L 4 X 4. Back in the day the 1500 HD's were basically a 2500 re-badged. The only difference between the 2500 and 2500 HD was the HD came with a full floating rear axel.
The gears in my truck are I believe 3:72 which does leave it lacking a bit in the towing department. That being said, most of our towing will be around Minnesota, at least for the next couple of years.

Are you going to proceed with getting a 2nd a/c? This kind of has me concerned.
NO Second A/C!! It’s supposed to work with the one. I bought it to my dealership last week. They placed in the sun and recorded a bunch of temperatures both inside and out. They put down the inside temperature as 76 when most temperatures, walls and ceilings were 79-86. But these same techs sent in a spec sheet the first time they looked at it stating it was 78 degrees when in fact it was closer to 58 degrees. The high that day was 76. Sorry for my rambling but I’m frustrated with this problem.
My rear end is a 3:73, I only notice when first accelerating. A 4:11 would be better. I bought it used with low mileage. As to a half vs 3/4 it has a lot to do with the weight and beefier brakes. Trailer Life magazine put out towing capacities , good to check.
Good luck
1951grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote